April 23 2014

This Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play) was acquired in Amazon U.S., with the package being redirected to Brazil by Shipito. This is the eleventh time I use the great services Shipito, Browse other purchases.

I have shown here in Skooter Blog some cheap NAS options, like NS-K330 or even the router Roteador ASUS RT-AC68U Dual Band Gigabit Router 802.11ac Wireless-AC1900, which also makes the NAS function. But this time I decided to buy a more advanced NAS. The Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play) has two hard drives in RAID, Intel has, plenty of memory and a very good operating system: the Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM), which is based on Linux and has an excellent graphical interface.

In addition to the software that can be installed from the repository itself Synology, There are several other software on a community repository. There is software for every taste: DLNA servers for audio, video and music accompany the DS214play and do including transcoding in real time. For example: My TV does not support high definition formats (.mkv and related), but DS214play can transcode the videos in real time to the TV. Unfortunately the Synology software is not perfect and there is no support for subtitles. You can install other DLNA servers, like Plex, but he does not yet support transcoding with hardware acceleration, so in practice it is not feasible to transcode (to transmit only is ok).

The Download Station is to make the joy of those who want to make large downloads without leaving the computer turned on. It supports HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, FTPS, BitTorrent, eMule, and other protocols. Already downloaded torrents with him and everything went perfectly. For those who prefer the Transmission, it can also be installed.

The file server (Samba) is quite fast. With my old NAS Iomega, was unfeasible view photos stored on it using my ZBOX installed in the TV room, because access to the files was slow. With the DS214play I've dumped the external HD ZBOX, because access to photos, videos, songs, ROMs, etc. by Gigabit Ethernet is almost instantaneous, as if they were on a local HD.

One of the software I liked to have available is the BTSync, whose package is maintained by the community. I was using the BTSync to synchronize files between the home PC and the work, among others, but with the NAS synchronization home from work happens even when the computer is turned off. Before I had to keep the micro house connected while on the job or keep the micro work on when I was home, for synchronization only occurred when both were linked. With the DS214play I don't have to worry about leaving the micro connected. When I come home it's just connecting the micro and it downloads the files included/modified directly from DS214play.

The support DDNS (Dynamic DNS) also is present and provides various services, as DynDNS and the No-IP that is what I am using. You can also use the QuickConnect service's own Synology, free. Applications or functions to create embedded Web servers, FTP, SSH, SFTP, WebDAV, Samba, NFS, etc. are also available, including advanced options access control.

Besides the two external hard drives, the DS214play It has two USB ports 3.0 rear, a rear eSATA port, and a USB port 2.0 front where they can be connected external hard drives which folders can also be shared. You can also connect printers (print server), UPS manageable, etc. An SD card reader is also present. You can configure the DS214play to automatically copy the contents of SDs or Flash drives that are inserted.

Synology also makes applications to access audio, video, songs, downloads, etc. on the DS214play from several platforms, including Android, iOS and even Smart TVs, but any DLNA-compliant device can access this content. I particularly still prefer to use the WD TV Live to play as much as possible without the need for transcoding formats and access to subtitles, multiple audio, etc. But now I do it by pulling the videos directly from the DS214play, via network share. XBMC on the ZBOX has become my preferred option to view photos and listen to music.

Ultimately, I am fully satisfied with the Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play). I put it 2 Hard Drives Seagate Barracuda 3TB it. The choice of who buys this in is usually the Western Digital line “Red” that is made for the, consumes less power, etc., but they are only available in civilization and I wanted to avoid another import, so I ended up turning me with what I found in the free market here in the underdeveloped world. If it was another ride today opt for Seagate Barracuda 4TB, that in addition to greater capacity is less rotation, 5900 rpm instead of 7200 rpm and thus also consume less energy, despite this being a much slower.

I made the purchase on Amazon with my address Shipito no depósito do Oregon, avoiding state taxes US. The application was done on days 14/02/2014, with forecast availability for 2 a 4 weeks. But as Amazon likes to surprise me positively and the day 21/02/2014 the package was already sent, with arrival forecast for 28/02/2014. No give 28/02 I received new e-mail from Amazon informing about a delay that would. UPS also warned that there was a delay in the train that brought my package because of a storm there in Oregon. But the next business day, 03/03/2014, the package was delivered. The UPS tracking, as well as DHL, is something really first world as seen here:

Location Data Time Location Activity
Tualatin, OR, United States 03/03/2014 8:33 Delivered
03/03/2014 0:50 Scan Target
Tualatin, OR, United States 28/02/2014 23:36 Arrival Scan
Bedford Park, IL, United States 28/02/2014 3:00 UPS train late arrival delayed delivery. We are adjusting plans to deliver package as soon as possible.
Hodgkins, IL, United States 25/02/2014 9:00 Starting Scan
25/02/2014 4:52 Arrival Scan
Indianapolis, IN, United States 25/02/2014 1:10 Starting Scan
25/02/2014 0:13 Arrival Scan
Columbus, OH, United States 24/02/2014 20:35 Starting Scan
24/02/2014 17:53 Arrival Scan
Greensboro, NC, United States 24/02/2014 9:31 Starting Scan
Greensboro, NC, United States 22/02/2014 0:56 Arrival Scan
West Columbia, SC, United States 21/02/2014 21:44 Starting Scan
21/02/2014 19:41 Scan Source
United States 21/02/2014 17:53 Order Processed: Ready for UPS

In Shipito, I opted for shipping USPS Priority Mail, that is my favorite because it is fast and have tracking. These were spending on the Shipito:

Mailout fee: $8.50
Special requests: $1.00
Postage: $56.62
(Carrier) ($54.29)
(Bank fee 4.3%) ($2.33)
Insurance: $5.24
TOTAL: $71.36

And here the most complete table:

Sender name:
Package content:
Package type (for Customs): gift
Customs declaration:
Description Quantity Item value
Hard Disk Drive Enclosure 1 [Removed]
Total Value: [Removed]
Weight: 4.50 lbs
Insured amount: [Removed]
Shipping method: USPS Priority Mail
Mailout fee: $8.50 (Small package (up to 30lbs))
Repacking fee: $0.00

PORTLAND, OR 97218
March 4, 2014 , 5:15 pm

Accepted at USPS Origin Sort Facility

PORTLAND, OR 97208
March 4, 2014

Electronic Shipping Info Received

And the tracking information of Posts:

28/03/2014 15:43 AC [Removed] Delivery Effected
19/03/2014 09:27 UNIT TRAT INTERNATIONAL RIO RIO – RIO DE JANEIRO / RJ Awarded
07/03/2014 14:00 UNITED STATES Awarded
Received the unit export
07/03/2014 14:00 UNITED STATES Routed
M traveling to TREATMENT UNIT INTERNATIONAL – BRAZIL
04/03/2014 17:15 UNITED STATES Posted

The Post Office curled a week to lead the pack of Rio de Janeiro to Campinas. Interestingly the package only after I walked a claim in the Post Office site. I do not know if it was coincidence or not.

And before closing Article, some pictures of the Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play):

Pacote da Amazon com o Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play)

NTS do Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play)

Invoice da Amazon

Invoice da Amazon

Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play), on its packaging

Abrindo a embalagem do Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play)

Parte frontal do Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play)

Parte lateral do Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play)

Parte traseira do Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play)

Por dentro do Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play)

Cabo de Energia do Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play)

Network Cable and Power Supply Synology DiskStation 2-Bay America Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play)

HDs Seagate Barracuda 3TB para o Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play)

O Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play) operation

And the purchase summary table:

Product Name: Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play)
Name Original: Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play)
Store: Amazon
Value: US$ 381,99
Current value: US$ 369,99
Payment Method: Credit Card Visa International
Shipping Type:
  • FREE Super Saver Shipping (Amazon)
  • USPS Mail Priority (Shipito)
Shipping Fee:
  • Free (Amazon -> Shipito)
  • US$ 71,36 (Shipito -> Brazil)
Package Home Country: USA
Purchase Data: 14/02/2014 (Amazon)
Submission Date:
  • 21/02/2014 (Amazon -> Shipito)
  • 04/03/2014 (Shipito -> Brazil)
Data Delivery:
  • 03/03/2014 (Amazon -> Shipito)
  • 28/03/2014 (Shipito -> Brazil)
Time in Transit:
  • 10 days (Amazon -> Shipito)
  • 24 days (Shipito -> Brazil)
Declared content: Hard Disk Drive Enclosure
Type Marked Content: Gift
Declared Value:
Taxed: Yes
Taxable Value: R$ 305,76 (US$ 129,99)
Tax Value: R$ 183,46

And I'm ending here with a positive assessment to the Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play) and another positive review for Amazon and the Shipito. Do not forget to share the article with your friends if you like. Good fun and good shopping. :)

Permanent link to this article: http://www.skooterblog.com/2014/04/23/amazon-via-shipito-synology america-diskstation 2-bay diskless---network-attached-storage-ds214play/

13 comments

5 indications

Jump to the comment form

Other

Skooter, If you send to the Nevada also would not pay certain state taxes?

1. 1.1

Other,
      In this case pay Yes.
      I do not know why, but simulating shopping on Amazon with the 3 the only addresses without tax currently is the Oregon. Nevada has given tax, less than that of California, but you can still.
      As I understand it, in Oregon there are no taxes regardless of the store, While California and Nevada charge taxes if the store is in the same State. I suppose that Amazon has operations in Nevada, beyond California.

1. 1.1.1
        Other

OK thank you for the clarification skooter, I must have made a mistake with some other post when they provided the address of Nevada and I realized that there was no tax. earned!

1. Skooter

You're right. I wrote in another post that in Nevada there was no tax on purchases at Amazon. And there really wasn't. Bought my PS4 sending to Nevada and had no tax. But now it's been charging. The question is why.

2. Skooter

I found the solution of the mystery here.
          In short, from 01/01/2014 on packages for Nevada also pay state taxes on purchases at Amazon, the rate is only slightly smaller than California. The way is sending to Oregon even, unless the difference in shipping to compensate California or Nevada.
          That explains why my PS4 passed without taxes, I bought it at the very end of 2013.

2. 1.1.2
        Other

Actually messed with the review of the post you made the PS4 speaking these differences.

Moses Fontana

Olá Skooter!

Do you have any idea of packing that measures DS214Play? I wish I had an idea to calculate the value of possible freight USES for the BR.

Thank you!

1. 2.1

Hello Moses,

26 x 22 x 19 cm

1. 2.1.1
        Moses Fontana

Thank you very much for the Info!

A. Morlin a.k. the Ruber

Olá Skooter,
    I picked up several tips with you in the post about the burning of the HTR590 HTforum, When you reported that brought Yamaha via Shipito.
    I'm buying via shipito and navigating your blog I saw this in the.

E e? Worth?
    My use would you file personal files home, and run the .mkv downloaded via torrent, both in TV as in Sony BDPlayer.
    It performs without gagging or still depends on the network?

My idea tbm is plug a WD My Book of 4 TB on his USB, for my NETGEAR Router goes into reset infinity when plug above 750 GB HD in it.

Thank you.

1. 3.1

For me it's worth it Yes. I've got one at home and one at work. BTSync and Crashplan installed on both so that I have a “Dropbox” unlimited and a backup system with compression capabilities, Versioning, de-duplication, etc.

To view videos on TV I still prefer to use the WD TV Live connecting in via network share, in other words, He takes the original file in the, without transcoding. I like to have more flexibility with respect to formats, subtitles, audio selection, etc., that is something that the DLNA Protocol does not.

In the tests I did using transcoding of own and watching it on TV I didn't see gagging. The acceleration in NAS hardware can handle real time transcode. How to network, mine is Gigabit Ethernet, Wired. If the network between the NAS and the TV is WiFi there may be problems if the effective band is too low.

I have an external HD plugged into one of the USB. This possibility of expansion also helps. Today I am with two HDs of 4 TB internally in RAID 1, and more the external HD 1,5 TB.

1. 3.1.1
        A. Morlin a.k. the Ruber

Valeu Skooter.

The HD ´ s you purchased here or brought via Shipito tbm?
        To watch I use the BD Player Sony.

I'm going to grow up with the idea of bringing a via Shipito.
        What are the differences between the DS214 and DS214Play?

1. Skooter

The HDs I bought right here. Only the external from Amazon via Shipito.
          Despite the similar names DS214 and DS214play are quite different internally.
          The DS214play has more RAM, Intel Atom Dual Core, the eSata port and SD card reader.
          The DS214 uses a processor Marvell Armada XP (ARM).

eBay: But 10 Blu-Ray Recordable BD-R DL 50GB Verbatim

[…] Amazon via Shipito: Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play) […]

BTSync 1.3.94 for Synology Disktation DS214play and other

Amazon: mais um Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play) - Skooter Blog

2 Batteries CSB HR 1234W F2 12VDC 9Ah 34W long life 8 years - Skooter Blog

[…] aos meus equipamentos de rede: router, switch, NAS, etc. A interface USB está conectada ao meu Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play) and he also recognizes the unit immediately, monitorando a carga da bateria e se desligando […]

2º Easy Smart Gigabit Switch 16 Doors TP-Link TL-SG1016DE - Skooter Blog

[…] Synology America DiskStation 2-Bay Diskless Network Attached Storage (DS214play) […]