Sonic The Hedgehog It was released by Sega for the Master System in October 1991, a few months after the release of version of Mega Drive. In Brazil the Tec Toy distribution began in January 1992. I believe that in stores I frequented have arrived a little later (or simply was not easy to find on the shelf), because I remember you know the version of Mega Drive When I finally rent of Master System.
Sega did a great job to get around the limitations of the Master System. Instead of doing a faithful port, did a very different game than we have in the Mega Drive, with other dynamics. As I mentioned in the article on the third letter from Tec Toy, at that time I was already looking for a Mega Drive, but a launch of weight as the Sonic, the Hedgehog got a good survival rate to Master System MIM.
This is the cover of Sonic The Hedgehog in the version of the Tec Toy, extracted from the Tec Toy Wiki:
Unlike the version of Mega Drive, the version of the Master System from the Sonic The Hedgehog There's no tricks known to select stages, get into construction mode or something like that. So much so that the tips of the Tec Toy there is only strategies to defeat the bosses of each phase. This somehow motivated me more to play, as for seeing new stages was really need to go through them. The version of Master System also always seemed harder, because when you bump into some enemy or obstacle and lose the rings, It is not possible to recover them as happens in Mega Drive. This difference is probably due to graphical limitations Master System, you couldn't stand a lot of rings moving across the screen with different trajectories and simultaneously.
I remember the first time I rented the Sonic The Hedgehog I was tangled up in phase Jungle, that is one of the most difficult, with a somewhat complicated jumps. In the second lease finally learned how to pass that stage and then I got to the end.
The leaflet with the tips of the Sonic The Hedgehog the Tec Toy sent me follows the more traditional format: is a sheet of continuous form with matrix printing. It contains the plot of the game, the controls, and tips for going through each of the heads. Here's the scanned brochure:
And here's the transcript:
Plot : A mad scientist is transforming innocent animals into mechanical monsters. Only one of the inhabitants of the forest can end this perversity: Sonic, a porcupine that despite being small is going to struggle to show he has a big heart.
Controlling the game :
Directional Button – Moves cursor in the options screen
– Makes the selection of the features on option selected
– Sonic moves sideways
– Does Sonic look up and down
Button 1 – Make Sonic jump giving flips
Button 2 – You start the game.
Green Hill – Stay to the left and wait for him to come down. When it has begun to go down, from 2 scams and run to the right.
Jump on it, When running your way. Repeat the operation on the right side, After the left and right again. 8 all attacks to settle it.
Bridge – Stay in the Center and hit it to appear, jumping quickly to the opposite side that is. Jump again to the Center so that the shots of him doesn't reach you.
Forest – Jump over bombs, hitting him whenever possible, being careful not to fall.
Maze – Hit him when he comes over to left. Dodge or jump shots and move to the right and hit him. Repeat the procedure until you kill him.
Scrap Brain – At this stage he doesn't attack.
Sky Base – Keep the button to the left. When the laser stop, go and hit the bell jar . Repeat until destroying it.
Unfortunately the years passed and now, but 20 years after, I lost my skills in Sonic The Hedgehog, and in the video I made to show the game just screwing on Jungle again:
Also worth checking out this hack Sonic The Hedgehog that includes FM sound:
The equipment used for these catches were:
- Elgato - Game Capture HD60 - For capturing video in digital format and Full HD 60fps.
- Sega Genesis -the American model Mega Drive, console that has the original processor Master System, allowing to play the Master without emulation games.
- Mega Everdrive - The cartridge "magic" that reads my games from a simple SD card and works just like the original cartridges. Used it in the video Sonic The Hedgehog original.
- Master Everdrive -the flash cartridge Master System, It also reads my games from an SD card. Used it in the video of the hack with sound FM Sonic The Hedgehog.
- PowerBase Mini FM -adapter that allows placing of cartridges Master System on the Mega Drive and also includes the FM sound chip Master System Japanese.
- Framemeister XRGB Mini - doing the upscale to the image Mega Drive para 1080p Full HD.
- SCART RGB cable for Mega Drive 1 / Sega Genesis 1 / Mega Drive 2 by Tec Toy with Stereo Audio (Pack-a-Punched!) - Leading to RGB, best image possible to extract a Mega Drive / Master System com hardware original, for the Frame Master.