Wonder Boy It was released by Sega for Arcades in 1986, and was ported to the Master System in 1987, in a very good conversion, by sinal, with good looking graphics and sound. The version of Master System It is also higher than the NES, call Adventure Island, because the name and the character Wonder Boy are owned by Sega, but the game itself is owned by the original developer, a Westone Bit Entertainment, you could release it for other platforms, but with another name.
Wonder Boy was brought to Brazil by Tec Toy. His Cape can be seen below, as extracted from the Tec Toy Wiki:
Wonder Boy is one of the best games of the Master System, in good old platform games category, that got a bit out of hand with the emergence of 3D games-facing consoles. Is a simple game, but quite challenging. Beautiful surroundings and good music. Note, however, which phases do not vary much, each area has 4 rounds and each round has 4 parts. The game changes from part to part and from round to round., but from an area to another not so much difference, with elements being reused. But that's probably what allowed was created a relatively long game on a cartridge with only 1 Mega.
The songs also repeat, most of the game takes place with the main theme playing, but there is also a theme in openness, one for the completion of phase, one for the chiefs, two different themes to fights with bosses, a theme of invincibility, a theme for the bonus stages, In addition to other jingles more shorts. Curiously, the cartridge there is also a song that was not used in the game.
The game controls are a little quite annoying at the beginning, takes a while to get used to it. No control over the character during the jump, and there are two types of hop, a low/short and long. The first is obtained by pressing the jump button normally, the second requires that both buttons are pressed together. This works fine most of the time, but I've lost a lot of lives screwing up the jump at some point.
I never had the cartridge from Wonder Boy, but it was available in stores I frequented, so I could rent it a few times.
The leaflet with the tips of the Wonder Boy the Tec Toy sent me follows the traditional format: a single sheet of solid form with dot matrix printing. The booklet contains the plot of the game so well summarized: you need help our little friend to save his girlfriend who has been kidnapped. Super original! 🙂
Then, come the game controls, in that are only mentioned the d-pad and buttons 1 and 2 are indicated as hop, no mention of the fact that there are two types of different jumps (a switch and two buttons) and that one of the buttons serves to launch machadinhos (When we are with this item, What is the most frequent).
The most interesting is the trick to select areas and rounds coming soon below, that can be accessed with a sequence of buttons on the opening.
Here's the scanned brochure:
And here's a transcript:
Plot : You need help our little friend to save his girlfriend who has been kidnapped.
Controlling the game :
– Directional Button – take the Wonder Boy for the senses that he needs .
– Button 1 and 2 – Jump.
– To start a more advanced area : Press 2 x button 1, 2 x button 2, keep both pressed and move the directional pad up and down until the number of the area you want to.
– To start a round of highest number , follow the same instructions above, but , move the button D. to the right and to the left.
To complete, I did a little video demonstrating the Wonder Boy, all the original hardware and no emulation, as costume:
The equipment used for this capture was:
- Elgato - Game Capture HD60 - For capturing video in digital format and Full HD 60fps.
- Sega Genesis -the American model Mega Drive, console that has the original processor Master System, allowing to play the Master without emulation games.
- Mega Everdrive - The cartridge "magic" that reads my games from a simple SD card and works just like the original cartridges.
- Framemeister XRGB Mini - doing theupscale to the image Mega Drive para 1080p Full HD.
- SCART RGB cable for Mega Drive 1 / Sega Genesis 1 / Mega Drive 2 by Tec Toy with Stereo Audio (Pack-a-Punched!) - Leading to RGB, best image possible to extract a Mega Drive / Master System com hardware original, for the Framemeister.