In this article series “Problems and Solutions”, I'm talking about a problem that made me break my head and almost give up trying a repair last night. The complete error message is: “Login failed for user profile service service. Unable to load the user profile.”, that appears on the logon screen and does not allow you to log into the system.
I use in my PC an SSD with the operating system, programs and all Windows folders, except for the folder \Users, in a HD, otherwise my SSD 240 GB would be no space.
A few months ago, the HD started to show signs that it would die. The parameters in the Smart were well critics, by sinal. The Hard Disk Sentinel estimated 9 days of life, Although many 9 days have passed and the estimated to have continued the same.
I even tried to find a replacement in Brazil, but only found Seagate, the quality went down very. A few Hitachi, but some sellers are selling Hitachi Hdds used, manufactured in 2013, as new. I also saw a few Western Digital, but inadequate models for use I would do, In addition to expensive.
I ended up choosing then for a HD Western Digital WD 4 TB Gold, in AliExpress. A model of 7200 RPM, with 5 year warranty, costing a lot less than you pay for entry model in Brazil (from 5400 rpm and guarantee only 1 or 2 years).
Despite the risk and the delay, paid off. The Western Digital WD 4 TB Gold came very well packed and sealed. In Brazil it is common seller send HD open or even used and find all normal. I will make a review This HD here in Skooter Blog soon.
I left then to do the cloning of data. Initially installed the new HD in a case from Vantec I bought in Canada in 2009. Made the connection via USB, but the HD was identified with size smaller than normal. It's probably some limitation case firmware, that should not be prepared for HDs of 4 TB.
I removed one of the other hard drives from my machine and did the installation of the new HD in it. Now yes, the new HD was detected correctly. I cloned the data with the Macrium Reflect – Free Edition. Everything perfect so far.
Removed so the faulty HD and I put new HD in his place. Reattached the HD also data that had been removed during the cloning process.
After restarting the Windows machine 10 was no longer able to upload my profile. The message was: “Login failed for user profile service service. Unable to load the user profile.” That way I could not log in with an account. My Windows was restricted to the home screen. With both the old HD and the new HD.
Soon I suspected it had something to do with drive letters. But entering the Windows Recovery mode and triggering the prompt, the letters were all correct.
I tried various shapes and recovery system restore. All failed! Had already given up and resigned at having to reinstall everything. Until something surprising happened. (looks like phrase clickbait :P)
I was on my laptop downloading an ISO of the latest version of Windows 10, After all if I'm going to reinstall, It's soon the newest version. While he was on the laptop that I realized the network shares from my PC were accessible. Through them I realized I really had drive letters reversed. The HD with the \Users was as It em vez of D. For your time, the HD data that should be It was as D.
The most bizarre thing about this is that in recovery mode the letters appear certain, I even tried to use the DiskPart in recovery mode, but to no avail nothing, because there was all right. I needed to use the DiskPart in the normal mode of Windows, But how to do that without being able to log in?
The solution I found was to access the machine via SSH. Fortunately I usually keep the Copssh installed on my machines to any remote access. So, I used PuTTY to log into the machine through the laptop. I noticed the letters reversed also through him. I went to the root and open the DiskPart.
I used the following commands to assign the correct letter to each drive:
list volume select volume x (substituindo b pelo número do volume) assign letter y (substituindo y pela letra correta da unidade)
So it was just restart the machine and ready. Everything is back to normal and my profiles returned to be accessible.
Unfortunately I don't know what could be done if I didn't have the Copssh pre-installed. If you know, leave a comment.